Creating products programmatically in Magento

Let’s face it – importing is hard. Especially if it’s from some other unfamiliar product, or something that doesn’t already have a Dataflow/import plugin for Magento already. Dataflow has its limits. I’ve actually found it easier to import manually (creating models for products) as opposed to writing Dataflow routines. However, one of my biggest bug […]

Compaq CQ60 Display Issues – The Unexpected Part 3

I recently had an unexpected part 3 to this tale the other day, when the display went. Again. But this time, different symptoms. This time, the backlight went. Oh sh*t, replacing LCD panels isn’t exactly cheap, and since the backlight diffusers and CCFL’s are fused to the back of the LCD panel itself, there was […]

Get website-level configuration in Magento

I stumbled across this one a couple of times now, and it’s caught me out every time. With Magento, you have the method Mage::getStoreConfig() to get a store-level config, but nothing obvious to get a website-level configuration (such as a default URL for the website). So I used this; Mage::app()->getWebsite($websiteId)->getConfig(‘web/unsecure/base_url’) It’s the same syntax as […]

Bug in Magento 1.6.1.0/1.6.2.0 affecting development sites using base_url

I installed a copy of Magento 1.6.1.0 on a dev site I setup to do some testing with Varnish with (more on that later). However, in the requirement to be able to get to Magento using 2 different URL’s, I stumbled across this quite annoying bug. a:5:{i:0;s:67:”Illegal scheme supplied, only alphanumeric characters are permitted”;i:1;s:729:”#0 /home/dan/workspace/magento1610/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Store.php(712): […]