Outlook 2010 not storing passwords

Advertisements

I recently came across a problem with Microsoft Office Outlook 2010 on Windows 7 whereby it didn’t seem to be saving passwords when connecting to Microsoft Exchange (2007, at least). Now, I’ve used Outlook 2010 on Windows 7 before, and it saved the passwords a treat. Some people seemed to suggest it was architecture related (x86 Office on x64 Windows), but others seems to have the problem on x64 Office on x64 Windows 7 (which is where I came about the issue).

There’s a ton of “solutions” listed on MSDN and other tech-related websites, but none of them seemed to either work, or were an acceptable solution for the customer. Finally, I found something. Here is my findings, posted here to get the information out, and for referral/storage purposes also. Hopefully this can help others around the same problem.

  • In Outlook 2010, go to File » Info » Account Settings » Account Settings
  • Double-click the account name in question
  • Click “More Settings”
  • “Connection” tab
  • Check “Connect to Microsoft Exchange using HTTP”
  • Click “Exchange Proxy Settings”
  • Enter the URL of your Exchange server (if only internal, use https://SERVERNAME, otherwise you can use the external FQDN)
  • Check “On fast networks, connect using HTTP first, then connect using TCP/IP”
  • Under “Proxy authentication settings”, select “Basic Authentication” and click OK.
  • Close all the windows and shut down then restart Outlook

At this point, it will prompt you for your username and password once more. However, clicking “Remember Credentials” this time should allow it to remember them. Close Outlook 2010 and restart it. And with a little bit of luck, it won’t ask you for your password anymore!

This is not a “solution”, per-say. This is a work-around. However, it seems to not have any side-effects that I’ve noticed to-date. A solution, of course, would be a patch/hotfix/update/service-pack. However. this worked for me, but your mileage may vary. Leave comments if this works or not. It’ll be interesting to see other people’s results on this one.

Join the Conversation

7 Comments

  1. Nice find. Upon checking the “On fast networks, connect using HTTP first, then connect using TCP/IP” box everything worked perfectly for me. No authentication/security changes were necessary.

    Windows 7 x64 SP1, Office 2010 x86

  2. Fantastic – been plagued by this for months and tried many other solutions offered on www. Done it now on 5 x Windows 7 machines and all worked perfectly.

  3. The only setting that I had to change was the Fast networks – as Paul said. Worked like a charm! Thanks for a simple fix.

  4. Been racking my head about this for a week or so. I have multiple computers around the world and this solution worked perfectly. Thanks for the tip.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *